Hattrick Sports Group Limited
ByrneWallace advised the shareholders of Hattrick Sports Group Limited on its sale to sports betting company Fort...
Acted for Browserstack Limited in relation to its $50 million Series Funding round with Accel. ...
Hattrick Sports Group Limited
Advised the shareholders of Hattrick Sports Group Limited on its sale to Fortuna Entertainment Group...
Darren is a partner in the ByrneWallace Corporate Team and heads up the ByrneWallace Technology Group.
Darren advises a broad range of technology and digital media companies on both general corporate law matters and also on intellectual property, ICT, e-commerce, cloud computing and data protection issues. Darren particularly focuses on advising technology companies on company formations, intellectual property protection and grant funding, seed and growth stage fundraisings, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, and general commercial contracts such as agency and distribution arrangements, franchising and outsourcing agreements.
Darren also has extensive experience in advising clients on specialist intellectual property matters (primarily copyright, patents, trademarks and designs), ICT (including software development and licensing), the legal aspects of e-commerce and online trading (including SaaS and cloud computing issues), Web2.0 and social media legal issues.
Darren is recommended in several publications as a leading lawyer in the intellectual property and ICT sectors.
Key transaction experience
- Ongoing advices to the board of Adroll.
- Advised the shareholders of Walchem Limited on the sale of four pharmacies to the Lloyds Pharmacy Group.
- Advised the shareholders of Nexala Limited on the sale of the company to Trimble (NASDAQ:TRMB).
- Advised the shareholders of GSLS on the sale of the company to the Carlyle Cardinal Ireland Fund.
- Advised the shareholders in Soft-Ex Communications in relation to the sale of the company to NYSE listed Widepoint Corporation.
- Lead advisor to an Irish Tourism organisation for Contracts, Intellectual Property & Technology.
- Advised Redline Capital Management (RCM), a Luxembourg regulated asset management firm, in a significant equity investment into Irish high tech company Innalabs Ltd.
- Advised the Hattrick Sports Group Limited on the acquisition by its subsidiary undertaking of Romanian betting shop operator Casa Pariurilor.
- Advised the Allcare Pharmacy Group on its group restructuring and ongoing advices in relation to pharmacy acquisitions and disposals and Franchise Agreements.
- Advised MJ Flood Technologies on a multi-year, multi jurisdictional IT Managed Services Agreement with The Quinn Group Manufacturing.
- Acted as Irish legal advisor to Blackbaud Inc (NASDAQ:BLKB) on the acquisition of MyCharity Limited.
- Advised The Olympic Council of Ireland on the Athlete Participation Agreement for London 2012, various agreements with LOCOG and also Sponsorship Agreements with Cadbury, Asics, Electric Ireland and Aer Lingus.
- Advised Aztec Exchange Limited on its recent successful equity fundraising with US and Singapore investors including the Richard Chandler Corporation.
- Advised Escher Group Ireland on technology licensing matters.
- Advised Broadlake Capital on its equity investment in Vita Liberata Limited.
- Advised Broadlake Capital on its acquisition of the water cooler division of Coca Cola Bottlers.
- Advised Broadlake Capital on the acquisition of assets from Jede AB (part of the Nestle Group).
- Advised ManageCo2 on its recent fundraising;
- Advised Fineos Software on corporate restructuring issues;
- Advised Adaptive Mobile Security Limited in relation to worldwide Reseller Agreements with Nokia and Symantic Corporation.
- Advised CR2 Limited in relation to its international software licensing agreements.
- Advised the shareholders of LeT Systems on a management buy out and subsequent sale of the company to Trimble Navigation Inc.
- Advised Bentley Systems on the establishment of an international Shared Services, Sales and Marketing Centre in Dublin.
- Advised the Receiver / NAMA on the sale of operating assets re. the Morrison Hotel.
- Advised First Derivatives plc in connection with the ICT aspects of the acquisition of assets from the Cognotec Group (In Receivership).
- Advised two leading retailers, including a leading discount retailer, in relation to online brand protection issues such as social media websites.
- Bachelor Business Studies, Trinity College Dublin, 1994
- Diploma Legal Studies, Dublin Institute of Technology, 1995
- Qualified as a solicitor in Ireland, 2000
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in England and Wales
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Law Society of Ireland
- Irish Internet Association
- Irish Computer Society
- Member of the Technology and Website Committee of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association Board
- Member – Ireland Canada Business Association
According to clients, Darren Daly is ''very knowledgeable, commercial, experienced and pragmatic." He handles the corporate and commercial aspects of trade mark, copyright and branding matters, as well as advising on transaction-related IP issues. - Chambers Europe 2019
Sources say: "He is very experienced, practical, responsive and a very good communicator."He assisted Browserstack with commercial contracts and data sharing arrangements related to its Irish trading operations. - Chambers Europe 2019
Darren Daly is knowledgeable across a range of commercial technology mandates, as well as data protection and privacy issues. - Chambers Europe 2019
Head of department Darren Daly is regarded as a "smart and responsive practitioner" who is "straightforward and easy to deal with. - Chambers Europe, 2018
Darren Daly is considered to be "practical and very approachable," andknows the subject matter inside out." - Legal 500, 2017
Clients praise Darren Daly for his "broad commercial acumen," with others adding that he is "pragmatic to deal with and solution-oriented." He acts for a number of domestic and international clients on matters such as e-commerce and cloud computing. He possesses additional expertise in IP matters. - Chambers Europe, 2017
Darren Daly's practice covers a variety of non-contentious IP issues for a range of public and private clients. Sources are impressed by his "broad commercial acumen, ability to grasp the issues at hand and delegation to the appropriate specialists." He advised the Olympic Council of Ireland on agreements with the IOC connected with the Rio Olympics. - Chambers Europe, 2017
ByrneWallace’s (Intellectual Property) practice is led by Darren Daly, who is ‘simply the best in commercial matters’ - Legal 500, 2018
Practice head Darren Daly provides commercial, data protection and IP advice for a multitude of technology companies. He recently assisted Daimler Benz with the operation of its in-car technology system and telemetry of data. - Chambers Europe, 2016
Darren Daly is best known for handling corporate IP concerns in the technology sector, alongside his work on licensing matters and public sector cases. Interviewees confirm that "he is pragmatic, approachable and conscientious." - Chambers & Partners, 2015
According to market commentators, Darren Daly "always looks after his clients' best interests, and knows the technology market inside-out." He frequently acts for digital media and technology companies, especially IT start-ups, on a variety of corporate, e-commerce, cloud computing and data protection matters.- Chambers & Partners, 2015
IP - Darren Daly Continues to advise Fáilte Ireland on all IP matters, including the recent development of the Discover Ireland app. One client finds "he is very approachable, conscientious and pragmatic; he sees the wood for the trees and is a good guy to talk through issues with."– Chambers & Partners, 2014
TMT - Department head Darren Daly is experienced advising a broad range of technology clients, with a particular emphasis on acting for technology start-ups on their establishment. He led the team advising Aztec Money on its establishment. – Chambers & Partners, 2014
IT - Darren Daly is ‘pragmatic and client-focused’ and‘client-focused and gets the job done’.– Legal 500, 2014
Technology - Darren Daly is ‘thorough, practical and very approachable’. – Legal 500, 2013
Practice head Darren Daly is an experienced technology lawyer, whose expertise includes e-commerce, cloud computing and data protection. He recently advised [a large retailer] on several web development agreements. – Chambers & Partners, 2012
IP - Key IP contact Darren Daly is known for his non-contentious work and his expertise extends to technology and sponsorship matters as well as traditional IP. He advises the Olympic Council of Ireland on its sponsorship agreements, recently negotiating with Cadbury on its behalf. Clients praise his pragmatism and negotiating skills and say that "he really gives us an advantage"- Chambers & Partners, 2011
TMT - Commentators regard him as "a man on the move". According to clients, "his key strength is helping us formulate what is and what is not possible". -Chambers & Partners, 2011
IP - Darren Daly takes on the majority of the group's non contentious IP work and according to clients "his commerciality is first rate" - Chambers & Partners, 2010
IT - Darren Daly is a "superb commercially sound and practical lawyer who often goes the extra mile" according to sources. He is admired for his expertise on technology matters and IP.- Chambers & Partners, 2010
TMT - ByrneWallace has a strong track record on technology issues and recent clients include Adaptive Mobile Technology and CR2. The firm is also building a strong sport practice under the leadership of Darren Daly and acts for the Olympic Counsel of Ireland on sponsorship arrangements. - Legal 500, 2010
IP - ByrneWallace boasts "a good mix of legality matched with commercial sense" and clients appreciate the firms "personal service and close attention". Darren Daly heads the team and feedback is superb; this lawyer "goes the extra mile" and "does not "goldplate" solutions unless requested". Sport and sponsorship is a strong area.- Legal 500 2010