Diego is a Partner in the Health and Social Care Department. His specialist area is Child Care Law and in particular applications under the Child Care Act 1991.
Diego has extensive experience advising and representing the Health Service Executive and the Child and Family Agency (Tusla). Diego advises in relation to child protection, mental health, wardship, judicial review, public administrative law and adoption. Diego also has expertise in relation to related areas such as juvenile criminal justice, confidentiality/data protection, consent to treatment and fair procedures in the context of statutory investigations. Diego has extensive Court experience and has made applications in person in the District Court, Circuit Court, High Court and Coroners Court.
- Advising in relation to District Court and High Court applications to place children in residential care facilities and foster care abroad.
- Successfully representing the Child and Family Agency in hearings lasting for in excess of two weeks under the Child Care Act 1991.
- Advising In relation to judicial review proceedings brought by a person to set aside an investigation by the Child and Family Agency into allegations of abuse made against that person.
- The successful prosecution of a newspaper under section 31 of the Child Care Act 1991 for breaching the prohibition on publishing information likely to identify children subject to proceedings under the 1991 Act.
- Successfully applying under section 25 of the Mental Health Act 2001 to place a 17 year old child in a psychiatric hospital.
- Bachelor of Laws LLB (Hons), Trinity College Dublin, 2001
- Admitted to Roll of Solicitors, Law Society of Ireland, 2005
- Certificate in Legal Spanish. Law Society of Ireland, 2006
- CEDR Mediation Advocacy Certificate, 2010
- Advanced Diploma in Juvenile Justice, Kings Inns, 2014
Memberships & Appointments
- Law Society of Ireland
- Free Legal Advice Centres. Diego volunteers on a monthly basis with FLAC
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association (DSBA)
- Council member of the DSBA
- Member of the DSBA Family Law Committee
- Appointed by the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs to sit on the Board of the National Children Detention Schools in Oberstown
- Diego has given extensive training to the Child and Family Agency and has co-authored a training booklet for Social Workers. Diego also lectures for the DSBA and FLAC
- Diego has published a number of articles in the DSBA “Parchment” Magazine and has also been published in the Law Society Gazette