Fergal Ruane is partner and Head of the ByrneWallace Projects and Infrastructure team.
Fergal has over 20 years’ experience advising both public and private bodies in the areas of construction and public procurement law and has advised on a vast array of large, medium and small scale projects in the transport, data centre, ICT, health, energy, residential, commercial and concession sectors.
In particular, he has extensive experience advising on a variety of public procurement, construction, PPP, infrastructure and commercial matters including consultancy and construction contracts, development/project agreements, framework agreements, tender documents, operation, maintenance and commercial contracts and related security documents.
Prior to joining ByrneWallace, Fergal previously worked in the Railway Procurement Agency (now known as Transport Infrastructure Ireland) where he was Head of the Legal Team and Secretary for the Agency for over 7 years. He has also trained and held senior positions in a number of top 10 Irish corporate law firms in Dublin.
- Advising an international private equity client on the design, build, finance, lease and operation of an 18MW data centre in Dublin including the design and build of a new 110KV sub-station and 2 km of cabling to an existing sub-station on a contestable basis.
- Advising a large Irish property group in relation to the development of and forward funding of a Private Rented Sector Scheme of over 1,200 residential units spread over four separate sites in Dublin City.
- Advising two Dublin local authorities in relation to three separate procurement procedures for the development of large scale mixed tenure residential developments which include private, social and affordable housing. Advices include drafting of tender documents, legal review of clarifications with tenderers, dealing with conflict of interest issues and regret letters.
- Advising the state health agency on public procurement and commercial agreements in respect of the development of primary care centres both on public and private lands.
- Advising an Irish property developer in relation to corporate, construction and commercial aspects of joint venture deal and associated agreements with an international real estate investment firm in connection with the development of up to 444 apartments at Stepaside, Dublin.
- Advising an international real estate investment fund on the property, construction, finance and commercial issues associated with the forward purchase of 72 apartments and commercial units in Dublin City.
- Advising an international discount retailer on the development of a mixed-use development in Ballymun, Dublin and the forward sale to an international investment fund of the significant student accommodation element of the development.
- Acting for an Irish hotel group in relation to the development of four hotels in Dublin and Galway, both on a direct and indirect basis.
- Advising an Irish property group on the re-development of large city centre property including interfaces with the existing Luas light rail system and the proposed new MetroLink.
- Advising a developer in relation to the construction issues associated with the development of an international baccalaureate school in Dublin.
- Advising a public body on public procurement, construction, planning and environmental and health & safety law issues associated with development and operation of light rail and metro infrastructure and ICT projects in particular in relation to the preparation of tender documents, drafting and negotiating construction and consultancy service contracts and the defence of public procurement legal challenges.
- Advising a consortium funder, main works contractor, consultant and procuring authority in relation to the following Public Private Partnerships ("PPPs") - Social Housing PPP Bundle 1, Schools PPP Bundle 5, Charlemont Social Housing PPP, Metro North and Metro West (respectively).
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), National University of Ireland, Galway, 1996
- LLB (Hons), National University of Ireland, Galway 1998
- LLM, University College London, 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 2002
- Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association