Fergal Ruane is partner and Head of the ByrneWallace Projects and Infrastructure team.
Fergal has over 20 years’ experience advising both public and private bodies in the areas of construction and public procurement law and has advised on a vast array of large, medium and small scale projects in the transport, data centre, ICT, health, energy, residential, commercial and concession sectors.
In particular, he has extensive experience advising on a variety of public procurement, construction, PPP, infrastructure and commercial matters including consultancy and construction contracts, development/project agreements, framework agreements, tender documents, operation, maintenance and commercial contracts and related security documents.
Prior to joining ByrneWallace, Fergal previously worked in the Railway Procurement Agency (now known as Transport Infrastructure Ireland) where he was Head of the Legal Team and Secretary for the Agency for over 7 years. He has also trained and held senior positions in a number of top 10 Irish corporate law firms in Dublin.
- Advising an international private equity client on the design, build, finance, lease and operation of an 18MW data centre in Dublin including the design and build of a new 110KV sub-station and 2 km of cabling to an existing sub-station on a contestable basis.
- Advising a large Irish property group in relation to the development of and forward funding of a Private Rented Sector Scheme of over 1,200 residential units spread over four separate sites in Dublin City.
- Acting for an Irish hotel group in relation to the development of 4 hotels in Dublin and Galway, both on a direct and indirect basis.
- Advising an Irish property group on the re-development of large city centre property including interfaces with the existing Luas light rail system and the proposed new MetroLink.
- Advising a developer in relation to the construction issues associated with the development of an international baccalaureate school in Dublin.
- Advising a public body on public procurement, construction, planning and environmental and health & safety law issues associated with infrastructure and ICT projects in particular in relation to the preparation of tender documents, drafting and negotiating construction and consultancy service contracts and the defence of public procurement legal challenges.
- Advising a consortium funder, main works contractor, consultant and procuring authority in relation to the following Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) - Social Housing PPP Bundle 1, Schools PPP Bundle 5, Charlemont Social Housing PPP, Metro North and Metro West (respectively).
- Advising a Government Department in relation to the rollout of €100 million in grant-aided telecommunications infrastructure.
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), National University of Ireland, Galway, 1996
- LLB (Hons), National University of Ireland, Galway 1998
- LLM, University College London, 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 2002
- Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association