Loughlin is a Partner in the ByrneWallace Employment team. He is chairperson of the Employment and Equality Law Committee of the Law Society of Ireland.Loughlin represents and advises clients across the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters. He has advised and represented a significant number of major Irish public sector employers, in addition to major Irish and multi-national companies, particularly those in the pharmaceutical and medical devices sectors. Loughlin has also acted in contentious employment matters; industrial disputes and pensions restructuring.
From 2002 to 2007, he served as Special Adviser to the Attorney General. From 2007 to 2014, he worked in the Employment Law Unit of Ibec, latterly as Acting Head of Employment Law. Loughlin was Ibec’s lead interlocutor with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation in relation to all employment legislation. From 2004 to 2007, he led Ibec's pensions policy representation work by managing the programme of its Pensions Policy Committee.
Loughlin has been a member of the Employment and Equality Law Committee of the Law Society of Ireland since 2007. He is a tutor and lecturer on the Law Society of Ireland's employment-law programmes. Loughlin has published several articles in the Law Society Gazette explaining the operation of the Workplace Relations Act.
- Extensive experience as an advocate in the Labour Court and Workplace Relations Commission
- Advised on a number of contentious industrial disputes, including several in one of Ireland's largest employers, and one in a major multi-national transport company
- Represented Irish and international companies in litigation under the collective bargaining legislation
- As part of the ByrneWallace public-sector team, helped to develop an entirely new suite of HR policies for the civil service
- Bachelors of Civil Law, University College Dublin, 1994
- Admitted to the roll of solicitors, 2001
- Employment and Equality Law Committee of the Law Society of Ireland.
- Loughlin contributed a chapter to the e-textbook for the Law Society of Ireland’s Professional Practice Course in Employment Law.
Loughlin Deegan"combines a strong technical knowledge with an excellent understanding of our particular industrial relations context," while another impressed source notes that he "is always very responsive and very thorough; he pre-empts a lot of issues." - Chamber Europe 2018
Newly promoted partner Loughlin Deegan has ‘strong technical knowledge’. - Legal 500, 2018
Loughlin Deegan is ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer by - Legal 500, 2018
Loughlin Deegan is widely recognised as "a very capable and dedicated lawyer" who is "technically good" and has "very practical experience." - Chamber Europe 2017
Ranked Up and Coming Lawyer - Chambers Europe 2017