Louise is a Partner in our Health and Social Care team.
Louise has been working in the area of Child Care and Health Care Law for 11 years. She is a skilled litigator and has extensive experience in the areas of complex Child Care and Health Care litigation, Child Mental Health Law, Judicial Review, Adoption Law, European Law, Public Law, Constitutional Law, court advocacy and alternative dispute resolution.
Louise has successfully brought a number of applications under Article 15 of the Brussels II Regulation to transfer proceedings to different jurisdictions within Europe and in 2018 successfully defended a very complex judicial review of one such Article 15 application. Louise also brought the first application for intended Wardship on behalf of Tusla/Child and Family Agency for a minor in state care due to turn 18 in need of interim protection to the High Court. This developed the process and precedent for subsequent cases.
Louise negotiates complex and highly emotive child protection cases on a daily basis in an effort to avoid contentious litigation where possible. Louise has had significant success in resolving matters in this manner and avoiding lengthy contested applications before the court. She has a strong record of successfully bringing applications on behalf of the State for child protection orders and adoption orders.
Most of Louise’s court work is covered by the in camera rule. She represents and advises the Child and Family Agency and its predecessors in complex and sensitive litigation before the District Court pursuant to the Agency’s statutory obligations as set out in the Child Care Act.
Louise manages a case load of 90 child care cases, appearing on average before the Court 4/5 times a week dealing with complex and contested applications regarding placement in care, access and provision of services.
Louise provides expert advice and representation before the High Court in complex Domestic and Intercountry Adoption cases.
- BA International, NUIG, 2004
- LLB, Law, NUIG, 2005
- Qualified Solicitor, Ireland, 2010
- Certificate in Healthcare Law and Practice, Law Society of Ireland, 2013
- Certificate in Human Rights Law, Law Society, 2016
- Dip. Mediation Theory and Skills, 2009 CEDR Mediation advocacy skills certificate, 2010
- CEDR Mediation advocacy skills certificate, 2010
- The Law Society of Ireland
- Irish Family Lawyers Association
- Irish Women’s Lawyers Association
- Louise has lectured in UCD on their Child Welfare and Protection Course and tutors on the Law Society for its PPCII course.