ByrneWallace LLP advises Clúid Housing...
South African Fund
ByrneWallace acts in the sale of Ireland’s largest building on behalf of a South African Fund. ...
ByrneWallace advised Neuromod Devices in connection with an €8 million fundraising....
Mark is partner and Head of the ByrneWallace LLP Banking and Finance team.
Mark has acted for many years for a wide range of banks, alternative lenders and borrowers across a variety of sectors, including commercial real estate, development finance, health, hospitality sectors and social housing.
Mark is a member of the ByrneWallace LLP Management Committee and was formerly a member of the Business Law Committee in the Law Society of Ireland.
He lectures on the Law Society of Ireland Professional Practice Course II - Banking Law Course and Certificate in Banking Law, Practice & Bankruptcy.
In 2018, Mark led the ByrneWallace LLP Banking Finance/Restructuring & Insolvency team which won Banking, Finance/Restructuring & Insolvency Law Firm of the Year at the Irish Law Awards.
Mark also led the ByrneWallace LLP Team advising the Griffin Hotel Group which won the Finance Dublin Loans & Financing – SME Sector Deal of the Year Award 2017.In 2016, Mark received the Client Choice Award for Excellence in Client Service for Ireland in the category of Banking.
- Advising Tricadia Capital in a structure that involved the leveraging of an existing portfolio of senior commercial loans as provided under the Tricadia/Origin Capital platform and an innovative restructuring of the existing platform to allow for the efficient leveraging of the portfolio by Morgan Stanley for both current and future loans made under the platform and future debt facilities as also provided by Tricadia Capital.
- Advising a number of financial institutions (including Activate Capital, NAMA and AIB) on the provision of development finance for construction of residential development.
- Advising AIB Corporate Banking on its funding of Ardan Advisory Limited, a new entity with an estimated turnover of €40 million and over 600 employees, formed through the high profile merger of two of the country’s leading hospitality groups, The Mercantile Group and Capital Bars Group.
- Advising the Griffin Group Hotels in relation to the restructure and refinance of its debt portfolio.
- Advising a corporate borrower in relation to the funding of a multi-million euro acquisition of a private healthcare business operating circa. 30 residential care facilities nationwide.
- Advising Garrison Earlsfort Investments Limited and Origin Capital Limited, two separate joint ventures between US funds and Irish companies, in connection with loan origination.
- Advising companies on the acquisition of standalone loans and portfolios of loans secured on Irish assets from Irish and international banks/funders.
- Bachelor of Business and Legal Studies Degree, University College Dublin, 1996
- Diploma in Financial Services Law, University College Dublin, 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, Law Society of Ireland, 2000
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in England and Wales, 2010
- Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitor's Bar Association
- Law Society of England and Wales
Mark Kavanagh is a well-established figure in the market, with one client praising his "practical experience and ability to turn complex issues into manageable, bite-size situations," adding he is "considerate of all points of view." - Chambers Europe, 2020
The "extremely practical" Mark Kavanagh "has an affable personality that helps to get deals over the line, and he is a very strong technical lawyer." He is head of the firm's banking department and has a strong reputation for assisting banks and other lenders with finance and debt restructuring mandates. - Chambers Europe, 2019
Described by Legal 500 2019 as a "Leading Individual" - Legal 500, 2019
Described by clients interviewed by Legal 500 as: 'calm, pragmatic and hugely respected' - Legal 500, 2019
The "extremely knowledgeable" Mark Kavanagh acts for lenders, including financial institutions and investment companies on real estate and development finance. He also handles debt portfolio restructuring and refinancing for high-profile borrowers. - Chambers Europe, 2018
Practice head Mark Kavanagh is 'capable and well-liked’. - Chambers Europe, 2018
ByrneWallace has a busy real estate finance practice, where practice head Mark Kavanagh advised Garrison on the financing of iNua Partnership’s acquisition of the Radisson Blu Hotel in Athlone. - Legal 500, 2017
According to clients, Mark Kavanagh is "experienced, commercial and understands our needs rather than just giving textbook advice." He acts for clients on debt restructuring, real estate and development finance, in addition to secured and unsecured lending and the sale and purchase of loans. - Chambers Europe, 2017
Selection of client quotes, Client Choice Awards, 2016:
“Mark is an excellent lawyer. His legal advice, structuring and commercial awareness are top notch.”
“He works hard to understand our aims and objectives. Among other things, we really value his integrity, commerciality, responsiveness and expert legal knowledge.”
“Mark delivers on time and on target, even against exceptionally challenging deadlines.”
“I would use Mark again for banking issues in Ireland. Working with him is an excellent experience.”
Sources appreciate his ability to "recognise and prioritise the key issues. He is effective in driving things to a close." - Chambers Europe, 2016
"He is very commercial; he will bring the issues to you and then say this is how we suggest you deal with it," notes one client. Kavanagh took the lead advising the special liquidators for IBRC on the Project Stone loan book sale. - Chambers & Partners, 2015
Mark Kavanagh is "praised by clients as accessible, easy to work with and a very technically skilled lawyer" - Chambers Global, 2014
Mark Kavanagh, who is "thorough and easy to engage with" - Legal 500, 2014
Mark Kavanagh is popular with clients: "He takes a practical approach to solving problems and provides workable solutions which protect the interests of our business." - Chambers Global, 2013
Mark Kavanagh has particular experience in advising on commercial lending, asset-based lending, development finance and project finance. He is valued by clients, who say "his insight is hugely important – he raised issues in a practical and proactive way" - Chambers & Partners, 2012
Mark Kavanagh is praised by clients through his speed of response and ability "to break down different difficult issues to a simple level" - Chambers & Partners, 2011