Martin is a partner and Head of the ByrneWallace Construction Law Team.
Martin advises on all aspects of construction law including both contentious and non-contentious matters. He has wide ranging experience advising on standard form contracts (including RIAI, Public Works, NEC and FIDIC) as well as negotiating and drafting bespoke contracts, professional appointments and ancillary contracts. A skilled litigator, Martin has expertise in various forms of dispute resolution having represented employers, consultants and contractors in mediations, conciliations, adjudications, expert determinations and arbitration. He is also experienced in traditional litigation having represented clients at all court levels, particularly in the Commercial Court.
Martin provides Health & Safety advice pertaining to construction and engineering projects, and has represented clients in the defence of HSA prosecutions. He is a member of the Health and Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland.
Prior to joining ByrneWallace in 2017, Martin was partner with a boutique law firm specialising in property and construction law, and previously trained and worked as an Associate in the Construction and Engineering department of a large commercial law firm in Dublin. Martin also worked as an in-house solicitor with the National Asset Management Agency (“NAMA”) where he worked on the residential development and loan sales teams.
Martin lectures and tutors on the Law Society’s Diploma in Construction Law, on the European Law and Negotiation Skills modules on the Law Society’s Professional Practice Course, and is Chair of the Law Society’s EU & International Affairs Committee. He regularly lectures on various courses for the Defences Forces in the Military College, mainly through the United Nations Training School Ireland.
- Advised a developer in respect of the funding and construction aspects of a €100 million residential development project.
- Acted for a scaffolding sub-contractor in a number of adjudications in the UK under an NEC form of contract.
- Advised a main contractor in respect of a number of adjudications in the UK under a JCT form of contract for the construction of a combined heat and power plant.
- Advised a waste to energy company on EPC and O&M Contracts in respect of the procurement of a waste to energy plant.
- Advised an employer in relation to a HSA investigation into a fatal accident.
- Acted for a main contractor in relation to a restructuring and the provision of development finance by NAMA.
- Acted for a third level institution in defence of Commercial Court proceedings arising from the construction of a faculty building.
- Advised a pharmaceutical and medical device company in respect of the construction documentation for the fit out of a new biomedical plant.
- Advised a biotechnology company on the construction documentation for the construction of a new plant.
- Acted for a water service operator in a conciliation relating to a DBOM contract for a wastewater treatment plant.
- Acting for a local authority in respect of a High Court challenge to a conciliator's recommendation.
- Advised a funder in respect of development funding for a major international retail chain.
- DEUE, European Law, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole, 2002
- B.Corp Law (Corporate Law), NUI Galway, 2003
- LL.B (Law), NUI Galway, 2004
- M.Sc, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Oxford University, 2006
- Higher Diploma in Employment Law, University College Dublin, 2008
- Dip. Comm. Lit. (Commercial Litigation), 2009
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 2009
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales, 2010
- M.Sc., Construction Law and Dispute Resolution, Kings College London, 2015
- Law Society of Ireland
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Chair of EU & International Affairs Committee, Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland
- Society of Construction Law