Olive is a partner in the Health Services Team and advises clients in both the public and private sectors. She is a specialist in Healthcare Law advising on many related areas including:
Olive has been legal advisor to the Health Service Executive and its predecessors in landmark mental health/disability cases since 1998.
- In the first case of its kind, Olive represented and advised the HSE when the High Court decided it had jurisdiction to intervene to safeguard the interests, including the detention, of an adult who lacked capacity to make welfare decisions.
- Represented and advised the HSE in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court in numerous cases challenging the Mental Health Act, 2001 and the Criminal Law (Insanity) Act 2006 under article 40 of the Constitution
- Successfully defended judicial review proceedings on behalf of the HSE in the High and Supreme Court in relation to the provision of a home birth service.
- Represented the HSE in defending the HSE's position in the High Court and Supreme Court in the provision of a health related service to a child with autism.
- Successfully obtained High Court Declarations in relation to the imposition of complex treatment to incapacitated adults and children.
- Successfully defended judicial review proceedings in the High and Supreme Court on behalf do the HSE in relation to the provision of nursing care in the home.
- Successfully defended judicial review proceedings on behalf of the HSE in relation to the interpretation of the provisions of the Public Health Tobacco Acts.
- Dublin Solicitors' Bar Association
- Law Society of Ireland
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- Mental Health & Capacity Committee - DSBA
Fantastic to work with," adding that "she has the ability to explain legal jargon so that it is understandable to all." - Chambers Europe, 2020
Olive Doyle is a particularly impressive individual, demonstrating a broad range of exceptional skills. - Legal 500, 2020
"Olive Doyle has a very impressive insight into health care, mental health and wardship matters." - Legal 500, 2020
"Olive Doyle has an ability to see the wider picture and to avoid unnecessary side issues when time is limited." - Legal 500, 2020
Described by Legal 500 2019 as 'a thoughtful, expert practitioner' - Legal 500, 2019
Olive Doyle has considerable expertise in public administrative law in the healthcare sector, with a particular focus on mental health issues. She advises state bodies and hospitals. - Chambers Europe, 2019
One client describes her as "extremely personable and knowledgeable," and praises her "clarity of communication." - Chambers Europe, 2019
Olive Doyle is very good, pleasant and committed," and has experience of medical cases before the High Court and Supreme Court. - Chambers Europe, 2018
Olive Doyle handles a range of complex healthcare and mental health disputes. Interviewees say: "She has a lot of experience and a good ability to respond quickly to crises," adding: "She knows the court system very well and knows how to engage with it in an efficient way." - Chambers Europe, 2017
Olive Doyle is a recommended litigator in the healthcare sector, often dealing with complex cases concerning mental health, nursing home legislation and the administration of life-saving treatment. Sources view her as "a very careful, methodical adviser. Conscientious, but assertive when she needs to be, with a genuine passion for her work." - Chambers Europe, 2016
Olive Doyle is an increasingly prominent healthcare litigation specialist, focusing on mental health law. Sources state: "She is experienced and gets to the point quickly. She distills a lot of issues out of the case before coming to me, so she can just tell me what I need to know." - Chambers & Partners, 2015
"A prominent healthcare litigation specialist - she gets to the point quickly." - Chambers & Partners, 2015