Philip Nolan is Head of Indirect Taxes / Tax Principal at ByrneWallace LLP.
He has over fifteen years' experience in a Big 4 practice advising both domestic and international clients on VAT and indirect tax issues across a range of industries, including investment management and financial services, medical and healthcare, real estate, software and technology.
Philip has significant experience in advising on the following:
- The VAT treatment of transactions, such as property, M&A transactions and cross border supplies
- Changes in VAT legislation, Revenue policy and evolving Irish and EU case law
- The completion of VAT reviews, including identifying key risks, threats and opportunities and optimising related VAT cash flows
- Providing support to clients in relation to Revenue audits (e.g. assistance with Revenue desk audit queries, to the preparation of voluntary disclosures, to negotiating settlements with Revenue)
- The VAT treatment of services received from non-Irish service providers and applying VAT exemptions
- Developing and reviewing VAT recovery rate methodologies and calculations for clients without full VAT recovery
- VAT process and control reviews
- Provision of bespoke VAT training for the management of VAT
Philip is also a regular speaker and writer on VAT and Indirect Taxes
issues for the Irish Tax Institute and various other bodies.
- Associate of the Irish Tax Institute, 2006
- Fellow of Chartered Accountants Ireland, 2006
- Master of Accounting, Dublin City University, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting & Finance, Dublin City University, 2001
- Irish Tax Institute
- Chartered Accountants Ireland
- Indirect Taxes TALC Committee with the Irish Revenue
- Chartered Accountants Ireland VAT Committee
- Irish Tax Institute VAT Committee
- Irish Funds Industry Association VAT Working Group