Valerie is a partner in the ByrneWallace Litigation and Dispute Resolution team and advises on all areas of commercial litigation.
With a background in property transactional work, Valerie has an in-depth understanding of the contentious issues that arise in property matters and, in particular, has extensive experience in property, landlord and tenant and planning litigation. Valerie also has expertise advising on media law, including defamation, and professional negligence. Her experience includes injunctions and judicial review. Valerie also advises and represents clients in alternative dispute resolution including arbitration and mediation.
- Acting for landlords and tenants in litigation relating to the determination of leases, including the exercise of break options, and other landlord and tenant related litigation in all Court jurisdictions, including the Commercial Court.
- Acting for vendor and purchaser clients in title and contractual disputes.
- Advising and representing clients in claims for adverse possession.
- Acting for applicants in planning judicial review proceedings.
- Acting for clients in injunctive proceedings instituted pursuant to section 160 of the Planning and Development Act 2000.
- Acting for client in securing a number of Norwich Pharmacal Orders against both online social media platforms and telecom providers to ascertain the identities of the posters of defamatory material on the internet.
- Acting for both plaintiffs and defendants in claims for defamation.
- Advising and representing banks and private clients in professional negligence actions.
- Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University College Dublin,1999
- Diploma in European Studies, L'Universite de Sciences Sociales, Toulouse, 1998
- Qualified as a Solicitor, Law Society of Ireland, 2003
- Diploma in Commercial Property, Law Society of Ireland, 2006
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Law Society of Ireland
- Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland
- Tutored students on the Litigation Module of the Law Society Professional Practice Course I
- Lectures students annually since 2014 on the Law Society Certificate in Conveyancing and Diploma in Commercial Property - Determination of Leases
The ‘very well-informed’ Valerie Hourigan made partner. - Legal 500, 2018