TechBrief: Key legal developments in the technology sectorThursday, 28 April 2016
TechBrief is our new series of quarterly bulletins reviewing key legal developments in the technology sector.
In this issue, we cover the following topics:
- The Protection of Transatlantic Data Transfers focusing on the seminal Safe Harbour decision which invalidated the long-standing EU-US data protection arrangement, together with the unveiling of the new EU-US Privacy Shield. We highlighted the implications this new structure will have for businesses trading and transferring data across the Atlantic;
- The European Union (Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes) Regulations 2015 which recently came into effect and promotes the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution in conflicts between consumers and online traders, by introducing an online dispute resolution platform and placing additional obligations on businesses engaged in online selling;
- The Breach of Direct Marketing Regulations by leading telecommunication companies in Ireland and the significance of this decision for businesses in this sector;
- The implications of the new EU Trade Mark Directive which constitutes the most significant reform of EU Trade Mark Law in recent years; and on a lighter note,
- New interesting developments in the Netherlands to take down drones!
Click here to download the full TechBrief bulletin.