EU, Competition & Regulated MarketsApplied knowledge of competition law is a key strategic tool in modern business involving a complex mix of economic and legal considerations.
Fair competition is the essence of business, and Irish and EU law addresses ‘the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition’ by prohibiting practices such as price fixing, market distortion and abuse of a dominant market position.
In practical terms, competition is a highly contentious area that calls for detailed knowledge and insight into Irish and EU law. In many cases, sector-specific regulations are an additional significant consideration.
Our knowledge & expertiseOur EU, Competition and Regulated Markets Group is highly experienced in advising clients across a broad range of sectors on all aspects of competition law. Given the wide-ranging nature of EU, Competition and Regulatory law, we frequently work closely with our colleagues in other areas of the practice, notably corporate, procurement, litigation & dispute resolution, to ensure that our advice is focused on our clients' key business issues.
In recent years we have built a strong body of sector-specific expertise in regulated sectors such as telecoms, energy, financial services, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, communications, energy, transport, telecommunications and media.
Our ServicesWe advise clients on all aspects of Competition Law, including:
- Merger control, including merger notifications to the Irish Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (the CCPC) and European Commission and liaising with regulators, submissions on behalf of interested third parties, competition due diligence
- Abuse of dominant position and cartel / behavioural investigations
- Competition law compliance and audits, including dawn raid training
- Competition litigation in the Irish and European Courts, and complaints to the CCPC
- Sectoral regulation, with particular expertise in representing clients in the telecommunications, energy, financial services, insurance, life sciences, pharmaceutical, and healthcare sectors
- Other aspects of EU law compliance, including State Aid, Free Movement of Goods and Services, Acquisitions Strategy, Commercial Arrangements (including Exclusivity Arrangements, Restrictive Covenants), Public Procurement.
ByrneWallace is highly respected and has the required resources both in terms of number and skills to support the... Chambers Europe 2018 - Competition/European Law view all related testimonials
Joanne Finn is a 'very smart, knowledgeable and well-rounded partner. What sets her apart from many of her peer... Chambers Europe 2018 - Competition/European Law view all related testimonials
MML Growth Capital Partners Ireland
Advised MML Growth Capital Partners Ireland on their investment in leading Irish guided tour operator.